As dogs age, they are susceptible to aches, pains, joint inflammation and muscle loss, much like humans. Older dogs may also suffer from various conditions that can make walking around difficult. Writing for PetPlace, veterinarian Dr. Debra Primovic discusses mobility problems in older dogs and what you can do to help with them at home.
She writes that some of the more common reasons for mobility problems include hip dysplasia, osteoarthritis, and intervertebral disc disease, all of which she describes. Among her tips for improving an older dog's mobility at home are:
- Create a regular exercise routine
- Use natural remedies or, when needed, NSAIDs prescribed by a veterinarian
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Be thoughtful about your floors
- Maintain proper hygiene
- Enlist the help of mobility aids.
Check out her helpful article for more details about all of the above. You'll find it here.